How to Care for and Lace Your Corset
It requires some practice to lace yourself up in a corset. If you get someone to help you in lacing up then it will be better. Once you find the easy way to put up a corset, it will become easy. Here are some steps to help you in lacing up your corset properly.
- Whenever you are going to put in a corset, keep all slacks fully loosen. Make the separation in the back gap as even as possible. You should not want all of the slack at the top or bottom of the corset, you should want it evenly distributed across the entire gap.
- Place the corset around your waist and keep the lacing in back and the garter loops on the bottom. Then hook up your busk starting from the top and work your way down to the bottom of the corset. After reaching the bottom, go back and hook the top eyelet last.
- Remove the slack in lacing by pulling the loops which are located in the center of the corset. Make sure that the corset is positioned properly by adjusting the straightness of the corset. Also, focus to adjust your breasts in the cups of the corset if you are wearing an overbust corset.
- Tighten the top portion of the corset by pulling the 2nd 'X' from the top and then adjust the third 'X'. If there is any extra slack on the top, then remove it by pulling center loops. You need to tighten the bottom by pulling the second 'X' from the bottom and then the third 'x'. If you do not have any gap at the lace, that means the corset is too large for you.
- Repeat the previous step until you get the desired fit and tightness. In that case, the corset should be comfortable and you will not experience any pain. If the corset is too tight then loosen it as much as you want.
Always remember that a corset's gap should remain clear against your spine. A too-small gap may put pressure on your hurt and spine and a too-big gap may feel uncomfortable to wear. If you are using a corset for any medical concern, then discuss this matter with your physician.
Steps to remove your corset
This is very much important to fully loosen the lacing before removing it. It must be done every time you wear a corset. Otherwise, it may cause damage to your corset. Sometimes your busk may be broken. Here the simple steps are described to remove a corset.
- At first, unite the bow at the back of the corset and pull the 'X's to remove all the laces. You may start with the third 'X' to pull out at least a foot of slack. After that move up to second and third 'X's respectively and move down. Make sure that your corset is loose enough to move around your waist. If you skip this step, then you may have the risk of breaking and bending the pins or the loops of the busk.
- Once the corset is loose, then proceed further to unhook your busk. At first, unhook the very top hook and pin hair. After that start from the bottom and proceed up to the 2nd from the top. You should not want to have a middle loop and pin hair as the last to undo because it will be almost impossible.
- When your corset is fully unhooked and the laces are completely loose, you need to store your corset for the next time you wear it. Always remember that all the laces are required to loosen completely before you wear it again. You can also store your corset in an opened position.
Steps to store your corset
Before storing your corset, make sure that it is completely dry and clean. It will be better to keep your corset in plastic bags in drawers to prevent moisture and dust that can damage it. If you don't have the plastic to store it, then keep the corset folded flat in a drawer. Before keeping it in a drawer, make sure that there is no heavy or sharp sitting on the top of the corset that might bend the metal components or damage the fabric of your corset.
If you select to fold your corset, then make sure to close the busk and to tighten the laces before folding so that it remains straight. You can also simply lay your corset flat in a drawer without folding it. You are not recommended to roll up tour corset. In that case, the studs and eyes can cause damage to the fabric. Additionally, rolling the piece may distort the shape of the corset. In that case, folding or hanging is the best option. If you hang your corset, avoid using a hanger with squeeze clips that grasp the edge of the corset It can damage some of the more delicate fabrics. If you like to hang your corset, then you are recommended to let out all of the slack on the laces.
Steps to care for and clean your corset
You can do a lot to keep the inside of the corset clean but this is difficult to clean the outside of the corset. You are highly recommended to wear something under your corset. In that case, you may choose corset liner. It will absorb sweat and body oils and you can easily wash it after using. If you are practicing waist training, then this is especially recommended for you. You can find two ways to clean your corsets such as dry cleaning and hand washing. It will be better to do the dry cleaning of your corset. Although spot cleaning is also a good option to keep your corsets thorough clean.
If you have some small spots in your corset and you need to clean your spot then spot cleaning is an ideal option for you. In that case, plain water is the best option. If necessary, then use a gentle cleanser and rinse thoroughly with water in the spot area. If you want to remove body oils and sweat from the inside of the corset, then just wipe the area with a slightly damp absorbent cloth. But in that case, make sure that the corset is dry before storing it.
Before choosing a dry cleaner tries to find one with previous corset experience. Make sure that they are aware of steel bones in the corset. You shouldn't dry clean your corset frequently. If you have leather and vinyl corsets, then it must be dry cleaned. If you want to maintain the outside your corset at home, then you may use leather polishes. You can find various cleansers to maintain your vinyl corset but before applying anything test them on the inside trim to check the reaction.
Dry cleaning can become expensive for you. If you choose to wash the corset then there are many things that you need to consider such as:
- You shouldn't put your corset in the machine. It may cause damage to the steel boning of your corset. You are recommended to remove your corset's lace before washing and relaxing it once it is completely dry.
- Use cold or lukewarm water rather than hot water. Very hot water may cause further shrinking. If it happens, then your corset may have permanent wrinkles look.
- You need to dry your corset with extra care. You should never ring the water out. It must destroy your corset. After washing, lay the pieces on an absorbent towel and then use another towel to sponge the water away from the corset.
These all are the steps to lace and care for your corset. If you follow these guidelines to maintain your corset, then it will last a long time. Otherwise, you need to invest in another corset very soon.